Make West Papua Safe is an international campaign that aims to stop foreign support for the Indonesian police and military in West Papua. We are a group of West Papuan, Indonesian and international human rights defenders and solidarity activists. We are committed to nonviolent resistance.
Make West Papua Safe is:
- Working with West Papuans inside and outside the country. West Papuans working with Australians drive the strategic direction of the campaign, determining tactics and messaging.
- Respectful, consultative and accountable. When working in new places we approach traditional owners and local Papuan communities and allies to build solidarity, alignment and understanding.
- International. We aim to develop this campaign in the countries that arm and train the Indonesian police and military, focusing on shared targets and goals.
- Nonpartisan. We work with all parties and organisations committed to making West Papua safe. Make West Papua Safe upholds self-determination as a basic human right. The future of West Papua must be determined by the West Papuan people themselves.
- Nonviolent. We are committed to collective action that is against violence and without violence.
- Strategic. Our campaign targets, goals and tactics are carefully considered to have maximum impact.
- Agile. We have the ability to respond quickly to changing situations and are committed to evolving.
- Creative. Art, music, song, dance, video and other cultural expressions are at the heart of our activism.
Growing. We are building a people-powered movement through online and offline channels to enable large numbers of people to take action to make West Papua safe.
Sign the Petition to hold the Australian Federal Police accountable